Seeking Volunteers in Occupational Therapy
Location: Hai Duong city and Hochiminh city
Duration of assignment: 6-12 months (start from April, 2018)
Are you passionate about function of the patient? Bring your skills to Vietnam to support the education of occupational therapy (OT) and the patients who need occupational technique. We are currently seeking to appoint a suitable experienced Occupational Therapy Volunteers to join our OT education program in Hai Duong Medical Technical University (HMTU) and University of Medicine and Pharmacy in Hochiminh city.
The demand for Occupational Therapy in Vietnam is huge, however in Vietnam, specialized OT training is not yet available at all levels. There is currently only one module in physiotherapy training.
With grants from USAID through Handicap International (HI), the Medical Committee Netherlands- Vietnam (MCNV) has supported the 5 year-project (2015-2020) on Development of OT education at HMTU and UMP with aims to create enabling conditions to establish education of OT professionals in Vietnam, including provision of OT educators, and development of a standard competency-based curriculum that can be recognized in the region, as well as training materials and strengthened Government policy on OT.
The first ever Bachelor on Occupational Therapy programs has been starting alongside at UMP since March 2017 and at HMTU in November 2017 with technical support from Manipal University, India.
Objectives of assignment:
The OT volunteers are expected to support and provide a comprehensive clinical placement programme for OT students who are enrolling the BOT program at HMTU and mentor them on how to effectively engage with patients and families in the community. The volunteer will share her/his knowledge of OT and how it can help people, young and old, who have disabilities, injuries and disorders that affect Activity Daily Living (ADL) and movement functions.
By the end of this assignment, the volunteer will help providing:
Objective 1: Provide guidance to students undertaking OT subjects including:
- Provide supervision and guidance to OT students during clinical placement at the hospitals.
- Provide support to BOT students in OT practice hours during the OT courses.
- Participate in field visits to support and mentor OT students.
- Share professional knowledge which appropriate for occupational students
- Increase awareness and capacity of OT students working in team setting.
Objective 2: Increase capacity of staff in OT knowledge, proficiency and practice
- Support faculties from Manipal University (India) to effectively delivery OT courses in UMP.
- Provide appropriate education and advice to rehab staff incline to OT.
- Develop and/or maintain partnerships with local, regional and international organisations, professional and peer networks.
- Bachelor of Occupational therapy
- Has at least 2-3 years in clinical experience
- Have the ability to share knowledge
- Commitment to team work, coaching, and mentoring others
- Awareness and sensitivity of cross-cultural settings
- Patience, tolerance and flexibility
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to develop working relationships quickly and effectively
- Ability to cope with cultural isolation and a different standard of living
- A preparedness to work with limited resources within a challenging environment
- Committed to gender equality, children protection and disability inclusion
What MCNV provides:
- Return airfare to country of assignment
- Visa expenses
- Living and accommodation allowance
- In-country Orientation on arrival
Deadline: Feb 02, 2018
For more information about the assignment, please contact to Ms. Trang, Quynh Tran at email@example.com